Home Sports UFC Conor McGregor announced his shocking retirement at UFC 200
UFC

Conor McGregor announced his shocking retirement at UFC 200

The enigmatic featherweight champion and the Irish wrestler Conor McGregor has withdrawn his name from the upcoming Ultimate Fighting Championship’s main event against Nick Diaz scheduled to be held in July; just after his shocking retirement announcement on the micro-blogging site Twitter.

McGregor shocked the world with sudden retirement

A strings of strange events happened on Tuesday when McGregor tweeted his retirement; “I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese. Catch ya’s later.” Everybody thought that the Irish-born was joking as he has knack of trash talking. Some thought his twitter account has been hacked as the fighter himself announced a day before via his social media account that he had arrived in Reykjavik, Iceland, to train for the upcoming UFC 200 fight against Diaz.

But things got serious when the UFC president Dana White himself confirmed that the 27-years old former feather weight champion has pulled off his name and would no longer be fighting in the upcoming UFC 200 card on July 9. Though White has not confirmed the news of McGregor’s retirement, but this sudden announcement from the Irish wrestler has clearly pissed off the UFC president and he is trying to convince McGregor to show up on the event and to participate in a news conference as well as to take promotional photos in Las Vegas.

White said in a brief interview with the ESPN; “Obviously, we still have a good relationship with Conor. I respect Conor as a fighter and I like him as a person. [But] you can’t decide not to show up to these things. You have to do it. We were in constant communication back and forth between his manager and myself. I said,” Listen, I’m flying out of here at 2 o’clock. You have until 2 o’clock. We’re booking the flight for you and you have to say you’re accepting the fight and you’ll show up [in Las Vegas this week for the promotional activities.]’ “

White also said this rare situation only happened once in the entire UFC history when Nick Diaz didn’t show up for his press conference for his fight with Georges St-Pierre and the UFC committee pulled Nick Diaz from the fight. When asked about Conor’s tweet and his retirement White said “Is Conor McGregor retiring? Only he could answer that question.”

With career earnings in excess of $2.8m (£1.94m), McGregor joined UFC in 2013 and was unbeaten until earlier this year, when Diaz beat McGregor by choking the featherweight champion into submission in UFC 194 bout.  Diaz also gave his responds about McGregor’s retirement, commented with a tweet of his own: “I guess my work here is done. I’m retiring too.”

There is another theory reverberating about McGregor’s sudden retirement, maybe the death of the Portuguese fighter Joao Carvalho during a MMA fight in Dublin has shaken him a bit. Conor watched the fight from the ringside and later mourned the death of Carvalho on his Facebook page stating “To see a young man doing what he loves, competing for a chance at a better life, and then to have it taken away is truly heartbreaking. It is such a rare occurrence that I don’t know how to take this”

Load More Related Articles
Load More By Fabnewz Team
Load More In UFC

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

How much sex should I be having? Experts reveal the TRUTH behind regular sex

Obviously, because with sex comes some very positive effects on the human body. Earlier th…